Verify your cluster
Constellation's attestation feature allows you, or a third party, to verify the integrity and confidentiality of your Constellation cluster.
To verify the integrity of Constellation you need trusted measurements to verify against. For each node image released by Edgeless Systems, there are signed measurements, which you can download using the CLI:
constellation config fetch-measurements
This command performs the following steps:
- Download the signed measurements for the configured image. By default, this will use Edgeless Systems' public measurement registry.
- Verify the signature of the measurements. This will use Edgeless Systems' public key.
- Write measurements into configuration file.
The verify command
The steps below are purely optional. They're automatically executed by
constellation init when you initialize your cluster. The
constellation verify command mostly has an illustrative purpose.
verify command obtains and verifies an attestation statement from a running Constellation cluster.
constellation verify [--cluster-id ...]
From the attestation statement, the command verifies the following properties:
- The cluster is using the correct Confidential VM (CVM) type.
- Inside the CVMs, the correct node images are running. The node images are identified through the measurements obtained in the previous step.
- The unique ID of the cluster matches the one from your
constellation-id.jsonfile or passed in via
Once the above properties are verified, you know that you are talking to the right Constellation cluster and it's in a good and trustworthy shape.
verify command also allows you to verify any Constellation deployment that you have network access to. For this you need the following:
- The IP address of a running Constellation cluster's VerificationService. The
VerificationServiceis exposed via a
NodePortservice using the external IP address of your cluster. Run
kubectl get nodes -o wideand look for
- The cluster's clusterID. See cluster identity for more details.
constellation verify -e 192.0.2.1 --cluster-id Q29uc3RlbGxhdGlvbkRvY3VtZW50YXRpb25TZWNyZXQ=